Knights of St. John
Julesy’s BnB (a licensed guesthouse) is located in the historic Three Cities, which surrounds Malta’s Grand Harbour . This very region was the first home to the Knights of St. John, whom ruled Malta for 250 years.
The opportunity exists to visit and stay exactly where the Knights of St. John initially based themselves.
The property itself (c1750) has been beautifully restored to its former glory, albeit with today’s modern conveniences. The luxuriously appointed rooms are actually named after relevant Knights Hospitaller, being:
Named after the 57th Grand Master Fra’ Jean-Paul de Lascaris-Castellar (in office 1636-1657), a French born, Italian nobleman who died in 1657 and rests in the Saint John’s Co-Cathedral in Malta’s capital city Valletta. During Lascaris’s tenure, he famously created a series of fortification towers around the island of Malta, with the vast majority of these still standing today. More about Lascaris can be found via this link.
Named after the 60th Grand Master Fra’ Raphael Cotoner (in office 1660-1663) and the 61st Grand Master Fra’ Nicolas Cotoner (in office 1663-1680). During Raphael’s tenure, an Italian artist commenced his work with the St.John’s Co-Cathedral, where Raphael was laid to rest in 1663. Raphael’s brother Nicolas succeeded him, and continued the redecorating efforts in the St.John’s Co-Cathedral, where he was laid to rest in 1680. During the tenure of Nicolas, the Cottonera Lines were constructed to protect the Three Cities, which could accommodate 40,000 people.
Named after the 65th Grand Master Fra’ Marc’Antonio Zondadari (in office 1720-1722). Zondadari, born in Siena (Italy) in 1658 was actually a Prince of the Church, in which today titled as Cardinal. In 1722, the village of Bormla (where Julesy’s BnB is) was renamed and declared to be the City of Cospiua during Zondadri’s tenure. Whilst his resting place lies within the St. Johns Co-Cathedral (in a magnificent monument), much to the dismay of the Maltese, his heart was buried in his native Siena.
Named after the 66th Grand Master Fra’ Antonio Manoel de Vilhena (in office 1720-1722). A Portuguese nobleman, also a Prince of the Church was very popular with the Maltese people, which was unlike a number of previous Grand Masters. Manoel founded Floriana and constructed both Fort Manoel and the Manoel Theatre which both stand today and are very popular tourist attractions. He was laid to rest in the St. John’s Co-Cathedral in 1736.
Pinto Suite: (available late 2018)
Named after the 68th Grand Master Fra’ Manuel Pinto de Fonseca (in office 1741-1773). A former Knight of Lange in Portugal, Pinto was elected as both a Prince of the Church and the Grand Master in 1741. Pinto renamed the town of Qormi in his own name, being the City of Pinto. Whilst Pinto’s method of appropriating revenue in Malta was not too favorable, he did mange to establish what is now known as the University of Malta, along with Malta’s 1st printing press being built during his tenure. Pinto managed to complete the construction of the Auberge de Castille (now the Office of the Prime Minister), which adorns his bust and arms on its façade. “Pinto’s Wharf” (part of Valletta’s marina) is where still stands 19 storehouses which Pinto had built. Today these are quality restaurants and offices.
Malta’s rich history also extends far beyond the Knights of St. John period, with temples dating as far back as 3,600 BC, pre-dating Egypt’s pyramids and Britain’s Stonehenge by over 1,000 years.
At Julesy’s BnB, we offer over 45 excursions and private tours to make the most of your time in Malta.
Look forward to having you here as our guest.
Julie & Glen